Decision time

08 May

So we’ve been doing the maths behind our travels and as it stands it will end up taking us 5 months to complete our tour of Central America, that’s nearly 2 months longer than estimated.

This in itself is not a bad thing, however, we have a 12 month round-the-world (rtw) ticket which expires on 21st February 2013.

Why is this a problem you may ask? Well if we just had South America left to see then it might not be, but we have paid to get us all the way round to New Zealand and then onto Fiji (one place I do not want to miss), continuing to Australia, Bali, Singapore and then back to the UK.

As it currently stands we would only have 5-6 months in which to see South America, and after being reminded of its enormous size by a world atlas I am left wondering just how we will accomplish it.

The obvious thing to do is to streamline our onwards journey to enable us to see South America and I could live with skipping Singapore and Australia, partly because they were free stop-overs anyway, but I cannot justify losing a flight to New Zealand as that is serious air travel from Chile, our final stop in South America.

Plus, let’s not forget the very reason we are going to New Zealand is to possibly emigrate there, so not taking that flight by mid January is not really an option.

Obviously funds also play a large part in our decision-making and so far we have done really well in terms of expenses versus budget, so if our trend continues we could afford to extend our travels, but do we really want to miss out on our pre-paid flights?

So what do we do?

We have decided that in the worse case scenario we will use Singapore and Australia as stop-overs and stay only 4-5 days in Fiji and Bali, this in itself will cut down our onward travel by over a month.

Next we will try to claw back a few days for each country as we go. If we can get 3-4 days back per country over the course of the next 5 months we might get 4-5 weeks back for our travels outside Latin America.

This will obviously mean taking a few extra flights than we had planned for but I think that it will still work out cheaper than having to buy a new ticket to New Zealand.

These options should then just about put us back on track. Obviously this will rely on us sticking to the new schedule and not getting ill, or finding anything new to see along the way and everything working out just as we plan…


Posted by on May 8, 2012 in Uncategorized


Tags: , ,

2 responses to “Decision time

  1. Real Footprints

    May 8, 2012 at 5:53 PM

    My suggestion, follow your heart, whatever you decide will be amazing.

  2. ToSouthAmerica

    May 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM

    We did South America in 4 months (and a bit), and managed to see good portions of Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina and Brazil. We also did shorter stops in Uruguay and Chile. Of course we would have loved to have more time, but just to let you know, it is possible!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: