Our plan had been to spend 28 days in Peru, as the country is not only a fair size but also has many places of interest to visit, we ended staying for a total of 32 days.
Below you will find the places we visited, where we stayed and how much we spent during our time in Peru.
Places of interest we visited:
- Chiclayo, the Sipan Archaeological Site & the Lambayeque museum
- Trujillo and Chan Chan Archaeological Site
- Pisco, Ballestas Island & Tambo Colorado Archaeological Site
- Huacachina Oasis (near Ica)
- Nazca and flight over the lines
- Arequipa & the Colca Canyon (Andean condors at Cruz del Condor)
- Sacred Valley – Pisaq sunday market
- Inca archaeological sites of Tambomachay, Puka Pukara, Q’enqo & Sacsayhuaman
- Sacred Valley – Ollantaytambo
- Machu Picchu (and town of Aguas Calientes)
- Sacred Valley – Chinchero
- Sacred Valley – Tipon Archaeological Site
- Puno, Lake Titicaca and the Floating Uros Islands
Here is a summary of where we stayed in Peru, how long for and a rating based on 3 key criteria for us; cleanliness of rooms/bathroom, location to amenities and value for money based on the town’s/city’s price range. All of our accommodations were on a private room basis and not dorms.
Note: Some nights are missing as we travelled on overnight buses.
The ratings below are 1 – 5, with 1 being awful and 5 being fantastic:
|Trujillo||Guesthouse Munay Wasi||4||4||4||4|
|Pisco||Hotel Residencial San Jorge||2||5||3||3|
|Nazca *||Hostel Inti Wasi||1||3||2||2|
|Arequipa *||Hostel Santa Catalina||5||4||4||4|
|Cuzco *||Hostel Samay Wasi||2||4.5||3||2.5|
|Hostel Samanapata Backpackers||6||4||4||4|
|Aguas Calientes||Pakarina Inn||2||3.5||4||3.5|
|Puno||Hostel Quechuas Backpackers||2||5||4.5||5|
* Note: we travelled on overnight buses from these places
Breakdown of our costs in Peru:
Despite spending longer in the country and eating out more than we had done in other countries we still managed to leave Peru without going over our budget. In total we spent £1,671 for both of us. This includes accommodation, food, transport and attractions, which were quite costly. For a full breakdown of our costs see below:
|Type of Expense||Total (GBP)||Daily Ave. (GBP)|
|Food (inc eating out)||408||12|
|Other (souvenirs, toiletries, etc)||223||7|
View our Peru gallery page for photos of the places we visited.